We are change makers that use temporary, car-free street events to create positive environmental and social change in communities.
WHAT WE DO AND VALUE
- WE CHANGE HOW YOU SEE THINGS. We develop, promote and produce car-free street events that reduce the use of cars and engage people in positive recreational alternatives. We create a paradigm shift as people consider new ways to experience streets and public space, and discover new ways to move through them.
- WE PROVIDE EDU-TAINMENT. We organize fun, FREE programing and experiential learning opportunities that create behavior changes that have a measurable impact.
- WE INCLUDE EVERYONE. We create programming that invites all sectors of the community to participate irregardless of economic level, ability level, age, gender, and ethnicity.
- WE HAVE A POSITIVE ECONOMIC IMPACT. We promote and strengthen local, small businesses and non-profits by showcasing and engaging them in programming and vending. We provide these groups with the opportunity for broad promotion and large-scale outreach that many small businesses, non-profits, or individual consultants can not achieve alone.
- WE CREATE JOBS. We create short term local jobs. We support organizations that support transitional work training. We offer community service and volunteer opportunities.
- WE ARE LEADING THE WAY. We provide leadership to other small to medium sized US cities by demonstrating how to advocate for and implement a Ciclovia/Green Streets program.
- WE HAVE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT . We encourage alternative transportation experience, discovery, and education. We reduce carbon emissions and create behavioral changes that have positive environmental and quality of life impact.
- WE SUPPORT CONNECTED MOBILITY & OFFER RECREATION. How we use our streets is an important part of the transportation experience. Temporary events give us the chance to experiment with new ideas. We explore potential infrastructural changes and opportunities. We create expanded bike ways and public space projects that encourage cycling and walking, and other forms of affordable recreation.
- WE WILL IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH. We help cities save money by offering expanded opportunities for recreation by repurposing streets into recreation spaces and, when needed, develop programming. We give people room to play, exercise, and learn.
- WE ARE SUSTAINABILE. Our office and events are dedicated to being deeply sustainable. We reduce, reuse, and recycle and use sustainable energy and materials when possible. We host zero waste events and track our diversion rates. We provide opportunities to experience and learn sustainability first hand through our events. We design experiences that help change attitudes and encourage discoveries.
SOME PRIORITIES FOR 2013
Improving and expanding our existing Ciclovia.
The experience of the Ciclovia is something that brings joy into communities. Everyone can walk, many will ride or roll their way to and at our event. In order to keep Ciclovia events free and engaging we need to continue to explore, test, and understand what brings people to them, their experience and how we can best create positive, community change. We also need to better understand the resources required to run a program that is scalable.
How we use our streets is an important part of the transportation experience. Ciclovia style events give us the chance to experiment with new ideas. We can continue to ask the questions: how can technology, signage, programming, and various types of streets and closures create big impact.
Develop relationships, connections, and opportunities with small to medium sized cities that show interest in Ciclovias.
Ciclovias started in Bogota, Colombia but have now developed into an international movement. In the United States, there are presently 80 cities offering Ciclovia type programs. Most of these programs are in larger cities where the impact on the quality of life is dramatic.
Boulder is presently the smallest city in the world to host a Ciclovia program. Our experience running a ‘small’ city program gives us an unique perspective on the challenges and opportunities for small to medium sized cities.
By hosting a Ciclovia symposium/conference we can bring city governments and organizations together in Boulder to discuss needs, opportunities, and ways Green Streets can help. We want to create an environment where cities can come together, share best practices and aggregate resources.
In the next several decades populations in many cities will grow. It is generally understood among planners that development should be focused on urban growth not suburban growth. This means that cities will need to use their current infrastructures more effectively. Using existing road space more efficiently, means supporting more walking, bicycling, and transit, and less use of private cars. Ciclovias help cities do this and explore/test new ideas.
Utilizing technology, developing shared tools.
In order to understand how to use resources, and how to implement best practices, we need to find ways to be effective and efficient. Technology can play a key role in helping us communicate, track change, gather data and run our programs more effectively. Boulder is a hot bed for technology companies and by working with these local businesses we can develop effective tools.
A commitment to sustainability.
The only way to help teach others is to practice what you preach. Green Streets helps communities learn about how to incorporate deep sustainability into lives and communities by demonstrating and focusing on best practices and options. From alternative power sources, to environmentally friendly materials, zero waste, and a green focus we want to live and breath sustainability.
DID WE ACHIEVE OUR 2012 GOALS?
• Expand the distance of the event.- YES!
• Increase number of free activities offered to participants.- YES!
• Develop more concise yet dynamic zones.- YES!
• Expand the free ride zone for more mobility.- YES!
• Engage more responsible vendors with strong social and environmental integrity. -YES!
• Develop model for similar size cities to implement Ciclovias.- WE ARE WORKING ON IT!
• Increase waste diversion rates to work towards zero waste event.-TBA
• Strengthen design of the route to be all inclusive and demonstrate
safe passage for vulnerable populations. – YES!
• Increase number of participants – YES!
• To support Boulder businesses and government groups that offer health & active living services and products and increase their memberships, participation or client base through positive exposure and a year long marketing campaign starting in January 2011. -YES!
• To facilitate and support local non-proﬁt partners that offer programs or services in sustainability and/or promote health services and affordable ʻactive livingʼ programs. -YES!
• To encourage Boulder residents to explore alternative means of transportation and community sustainability by exploring new ways to move through public space. To introduce Boulder’s new bike share program and community meet-ups that offer engagement year round. -YES 65% ARRIVED BY ALTERNATIVE MEANS.